The St. Louis Union Station (also known as SLUS) no longer serves eastbound or westbound passenger trains. It is America’s most significant station and was constructed during America’s westward expansion. It can be used for entertainment or shopping. You will find many restaurants, cafes, museums, and plays. There are two choices: you can either go on a tour or stay at a hotel.
It was constructed in the middle of the 1890s. It was built in the middle 1890s.
The shed was transformed into an outdoor entertainment area that included an aquarium, shop, and outdoor dining. It was an amazing transformation. View of St. Louis Union Station, November 1977, just before Amtrak left.
A Short Historical History of St. Louis Union Station
Because of its location at the confluence between the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers, St. Louis has been called the “Gateway To The West”. The Transcontinental Railroad was built just over 20 years ago. Frontier continues to receive new lines.
Iron Mountain & Southern Missouri Pacific
St. Louis was America’s fourth-largest metro area after the Civil War. It is now ranked fourth in terms of size, just behind New York City and Philadelphia. Union Station is the home of Missouri Pacific’s #11, “Colorado Eagle”, train. Gulf, Mobile & Ohio E7A22102 are also home to train #4, “The Limited”, that will leave Union Station on April 17, 1963. It provided a convenient gateway for westbound settlers to access the city. This was a key factor in the development of the city. St. Louis recognized the importance of the station and wanted a station to connect multiple stations throughout the city. It held a contest for a global design that received entries from both the United States and Europe. Cameron and Link were selected as the winners.
Brian Solomon’s Railroad Stations reveals that Thomas C. Link, also known as Edward B. Cameron and French Romanesque style designer Edward B. Cameron, proposed a design that would be representative of the city’s French heritage. Hans and April Halberstadt wrote in their book, The American Train Depot & Roundhouse, that the building evokes a magnificent chateau on the Loire River. It is made from Missouri granite and has a unique appearance. It stands out among Midwestern cities such as Cincinnati, Kansas City, and Indianapolis which were built between 1878-1890. The #4 train of Gulf, Mobile & Ohio, also known as the northbound “Limited”, left St. Louis Union Station on April 16, 1963, bound for Chicago.
Its most notable exterior feature was the clock tower, which stood at 280 feet. It featured towering Romanesque arches. Grand Hall featured a 65-foot vaulted ceiling. It also had stained-glass windows from Davis & Chambers of St. Louis. The interior was split into three sections. The Grand Hall was located in the Headhouse. It contained mosaics/frescoes by Healy & Millet from St. Louis, as well as gold leaf details and scagliola. It measured 610 feet long and 70 feet wide. It was 610 feet in length. It measured 70ft in width and 610ft in length. George H. Pegram designed the 600-foot-wide Trainshed. The Trainshed was almost 12 acres in size and had 32 tracks. In 1889, Wabash and MP created the Terminal Railroad Association of St. Louis. It also had 32 tracks. Named after her, the Aloe Plaza was constructed for $100,000 in 1940. Bronze statues mark where the Mississippi River and Missouri River meet. These bronze statues were designed by Carl Milles, a Swedish artist. At its peak, the station could serve 31 railroad lines and 22 railways. Some of these railroads joined the station later. These are some of the most spectacular trains that have ever traveled on TRRA’s rails.
B&O’s National Limited Diplomat & Diplomat.
Knickerbocker NYC and Southwestern Limited
Missouri Pacific’s Missouri River Eagle. Missourian, Ozarker. Southerner. Sunflower. Sunshine Special
Abraham Lincoln and Mobile
L&N’s Humming Bird
Pennsylvania’s Spirit Of St. Louis (joint venture with MP)
Names of all Wabash trains, including the Bluebird and the Wabash Cannonball
BNSF Railways and CSX Transportation continue to use TRRA for freight transport.
Missouri Pacific PA-2 #8033 departs St. Louis Union Station via the “Texas Eagle”. (St. Louis, Texas).
On September 1, 1894, the doors to the St. Louis Union Station opened to the public. It was built for $6.5 million and was a huge success. It was the first American mall. It was situated near Grand Hall. It is bright and has a light, airy feeling. After a mere ten-year period, it was finally demolished. It was rebuilt to be able to host many of the visitors who came to the city for the 1904 World’s Fair. It was last renovated in the 1940s. The main focus was on the interior. It began to fall as more people started to use highways and other airlines in the 1950s/60s.
Amtrak took control of all intercity railway services within the United States starting May 1, 1971. Union Station lost three trains in its trainshed. On October 31, 1978, the Inter-American (Chicago-Laredo in Texas) was the last train to leave Union Station. Oppenheimer Properties purchased the building for $5.5million. This marked a major change from the previous owners. The structure was immediately renovated by the new owners. The structure was meant to be a popular entertainment venue, even though it didn’t have a train service. It was reopened to the public in August 1985 after a $150 million restoration. Saint Louis Union Station looks much better than it did when it was railroad-owned. The station is a landmark in Saint Louis due to its stunning interior and recently renovated rooms. The station has more than 20 restaurants, specialty shops, and bars. 2011 saw major renovations at the station. Major renovations were completed at the station in 2011. Visitors and tourists can now enjoy luxurious accommodations. Metro Link continues to offer service even though four tracks were removed.